the TeX world
Typesetting, fonts, publishing, …
TUG 2019: August 9-11, 2019
The 40th Annual Meeting of the TeX Users Group
Sheraton Palo Alto Hotel
625 El Camino Real
Palo Alto, CA 94301
(phone +1 650-328-2800)
Dates and deadlines
- May 1, 2019 - bursary
application (financial assistance) deadline.
- May 20 - deadline for abstracts for presentation
- June 1 - deadline for early bird registration discount.
- July 9 - deadline for hotel reservations at our group discount.
Booking your hotel room early is highly advisable.
- July 15 - deadline for preprints to be in the printed program.
- August 8, 4:00-6:00 pm - opening reception at the hotel, in the
- August 9 - LaTeX workshop,
concurrent with regular talks.
- August 10 - post-session TeXShop tips and tricks informal workshop.
- August 9-11 - conference.
- August 18 - deadline for final papers for the printed
Special guest: Don Knuth
We are extremely pleased to announce that the Grand Wizard will be joining
us for the regular sessions on Saturday, and at the banquet!
- The conference will be held at the Sheraton Palo Alto hotel, in Palo Alto, California, USA.
Sheraton is now part of Marriott (hotel fact sheet).
- Flights: the major international airport is
SFO (San Francisco). Other SF Bay Area airports may have
cheaper flights: OAK (Oakland) and SJC (San Jose).
- Transit: it is about 20 miles from SFO to the hotel. Expect lots of
traffic, especially on the freeways. Train: you can take BART to the
Millbrae station and then switch to Caltrain to Palo Alto. Public bus is
also available. Taxi or rental car from the airport is the fastest.
- Rooms are reserved for TUG conference participants at the
Sheraton Palo Alto.
- You can make
hotel reservation for Fri-Sun on the web; you'll need to manually
change the start date from Thursday to Friday for the online
- You can also make reservations for Fri-Sun by phone, 1-800-325-3535
or 1-650-328-2800, or via email to
SheratonReservations(at)pahotel.com; email must include guest
name(s), arrival/departure dates, address, phone, and credit card number
and expiration. When booking by phone or email, it is necessary to
mention “TeX Users Group” to get the group rate.
- No matter what, to also get the group rate for Thursday, it is
necessary to contact Cheyenne Hulsey by email
(preferred: chulsey(at)pahotel.com) or phone
(650-328-2800 x7148) at the Sheraton Palo Alto after making the
reservation for the other days. Ask her to extend your reservation to
Thursday, and provide your confirmation number and mention “TeX
Users Group”. This procedure is also mentioned on the Marriott
reservation page linked above.
- The group reservation cut-off date is July 9, 2019. Reservations
made after that will only be taken on a space-available basis, and the
group rate is not guaranteed.
- Rooms must be cancelled at least 48 hours prior to arrival to
- A block of rooms has been reserved at the conference rate. If that
fills up, i.e., they state that no rooms are available, let us know, and
we will request additional rooms.
- Self-parking is available at $20/day, or valet parking for $25/day.
(Parking rates may change.)
- The conference rate is only available for the nights of Thursday
August 8 through Sunday August 11. The conference rate for
Thursday is $269; for the other days, it's $139.
- Up to four people can stay in a room with two beds at the given
rates, or two people in a room with one bed. The hotel web site does not
allow specifying more than one name on the reservation, but it's ok for
additional people to stay.
Meals and room locations
- The opening reception will be at the Sheraton, from 4:00-6:00pm on
Thursday, August 8, in the Maple room.
- The main conference sessions will be held
in the combined space of the Cypress I, Cypress II, and
Juniper rooms, downstairs.
- The concurrent LaTeX workshop on Monday
will be in “Location 1107” (Breakout Room), on the
street level of the hotel.
- Lunches and breaks will be provided at the conference venue at no
- Breakfast and dinner at the hotel are available, but neither is
included with room reservations or conference registration.
- We'll have a banquet (optional extra), 6:30 Saturday evening,
in the Maple room (combined with the Spruce room) at the hotel.
the TeX Users Group,
STM Document Engineering Pvt Ltd,
and individual donors.
Thanks to all.
New sponsors are greatly
appreciated, as is mentioning the conference to colleagues and in any
We'd also appreciate any dissemination of this
one-page PDF flyer (letter-size)
- Email: email@example.com.
- Phone, fax, postal mail: see TUG
office contact information.
- Conference committee: Karl Berry, Jennifer Claudio,
Robin Laakso, Boris Veytsman.
$Date: 2019/08/23 22:18:33 $;
previous TUG meeting -
all TeX meetings